Friday, December 21, 2012

Breakfast Tomato and Egg Half-Loaf

Breakfast Tomato and Egg Half-Loaf

I realized a few weeks ago that I have never actually owned a loaf pan. I always see such wonderful recipes for loaves that I want to try, but I usually end up turning them into muffins instead. Somehow I just couldn't justify spending $15 on a piece of cookware that essentially just turns bread into a different shape.
I mean when you have a muffin tin and cake tins, is there really a need?
 
Well, since I've started experimenting more in the kitchen lately, I didn't really care if I needed it. I just knew I wanted it. :) Then my wonderful parent-in-laws gave me a Target gift card as an early birthday present! I decided I was going to use that as an excuse to go cookware shopping! I mean, why not? Everything is usually on sale this time of year anyway, and at the moment I didn't really need anything else. So...I broke down and bought me a loaf pan finally, among other cookware goodies you can expect to see in future posts!

But enough about my pan, I'm sure you don't care about that.On to the food!

I was craving eggs one morning, but  I didn't want something boring like an omelet or scrambled eggs. Then I remembered, ohhh, I have my new loaf pan! So I decided I would make an egg loaf with some tomatoes, herbs, and diced peppers. I thought it was delicious! But I have to admit, it was not a hit with the hubby. He's not really a fan of eggs, so it was to be expected. This loaf does have a pretty eggy flavor, so if you are looking for straight up bread, you won't find it here.

You will find, however, a soft and juicy loaf of peppery egg goodness!




Ingredients:
  • 6 Eggs
  • 1/2 Cup almond flour
  • 1/4 Cup coconut flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Generous sprinkle of pepper (I didn't measure)
  • 2 tsp herbs of choice (I used dried Italian herb blend)
  • 1/2 Cup coconut oil
  • 1/2 Bell pepper, chopped (I used red)
  • 1 Medium tomato, chopped
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add all 6 eggs to a mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly. Add almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, salt, pepper, and herbs. Mix well, then slowly add coconut oil until well incorporated. Stir in tomatoes and bell peppers (or whatever vegetables you like. I do recommend the tomatoes as they add some extra moisture to the loaf). Pour into a greased loaf pan and cook on 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until egg is set on top and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
This is like a half-sized loaf, so don't be alarmed when it doesn't fill up your pan very much.

The finished loaf!
I like it because you can slice it in individual sticks, which makes it great for a hurried breakfast on weekdays. I just throw 2 strips in a zip-lock bag and take them to work with me. I think it tastes great even when cold, and I have a nutritious breakfast without having to get up early and cook it!

Now doesn't that look yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment