Monday, December 31, 2012

Caramel Pear Chocolates

Caramel Pear Chocolates

Believe it or not, this recipe was actually a mistake. I tell you, if all my mistakes were this wonderful I wouldn't have any problems at all!

I was actually making the chocolate sauce for something else and ended up only using about half of it (don't worry, I already halved the original recipe for this post). I figured I should try to come up with an idea to use the rest, because I know much better than to waste chocolate. I didn't want to put it in the fridge for later because I knew it would solidify and be difficult to work with. Then I thought, why not make mini chocolates with it and THEN let it harden!

So, I opened the fridge and cabinets to try and figure out what I could use. I saw there was half of a pear in the fridge from earlier that day and immediately knew that is what I wanted to use. But was pear chocolate going to be enough? I'm sure it would be perfectly tasty, but I wanted something more.

Then I saw the dates, and I knew a caramel topping was the way to go! And believe me, it did not disappoint. The pears added a nice juiciness to the chocolate and the caramel made me feel like I was eating a decadent dessert. Definitely a perfect match. :)




Ingredients:

Chocolates:
  • 3 TBSP Coconut oil, measure before melting
  • 1/4 Cup Cocoa powder
  • 1-2 TBSP Raw honey
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 Pear, peeled and diced into fairly small chunks
Caramel Topping:
  • 5 Dates, pitted
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
  • 1 TBSP Coconut oil
  • Pinch or two of salt
  • 1-2 TBSP Water

Directions:

Line a mini muffin tin with about 12-15 paper liners. Heat the coconut oil in a small saucepan until fully melted. Add cocoa powder and stir over low heat until fully dissolved. Add 1 TBSP honey and a pinch of salt and stir until well incorporated. Taste and adjust sweet/saltiness to your preference. I only used 1 TBSP honey, and I found it to be plenty sweet for me.

Pour melted chocolate sauce into prepared muffin cups, about 2/3 full. You may need more than 12 paper liners, (I ended up with 13) it depends on how thick you make your chocolates. Next drop a few of the diced pears into each chocolate cup and place in freezer while you make your caramel.

Chocolates with pear chunks

To make caramel combine dates, vanilla, coconut oil, salt, and 1 TBSP water in a powerful blender or food processor. Puree until you achieve a caramel colored, slightly chunky, consistency. Or, if you prefer a smoother caramel, add an extra tablespoon or so of water and puree a bit longer. I used 1 and 1/2 TBSP water in mine, and my caramel was mostly smooth with a few chunks here and there. It was delicious!

Next remove the chocolates from the freezer and spread a small amount of caramel onto each piece (about 1/2 - 1 teaspoon).


And that's it! Eat them now, or store in the fridge for later.

Caramel pear chocolate with a bite taken

I couldn't wait until later.... :p

No comments:

Post a Comment