Sunday, December 30, 2012

Lemon-Lime Chicken with Mushrooms and Onions

Lemon-lime chicken with mushrooms and onions

For some reason I have become slightly obsessed with lemons lately. Although I have been using them most often in desserts, and with my beloved avocados (of course!). I always tend to associate lemons with sweet things, but I thought why not try them out with a more savory dish instead?

Well, I had some chicken breasts on hand and I was trying to think of some new way to cook them. usually I just saute them up with some peppers, onions, and mushrooms...but that gets boring after a while. I had some extra lemons on hand so I thought, why not! I've heard of lemon chicken before, I've just never actually made it myself. I was sure it would be delicious, and while I was at it, I figured why not throw in some lime for good measure?

I am happy to announce it was a success! The chicken was actually really moist, and the sweet and sour tang from the lemons and limes went together really good with the mushrooms and onions. My husband loved it as well, which is a little rare when trying out new things. :)




Ingredients:
  • 12oz White mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 Medium yellow onion, sliced into strips
  • 2 Lemons + zest
  • 1 and 1/2 Limes + zest (or 2 whole limes if you want it really tangy!)
  • 2 TBSP water
  • 4 Large boneless chicken breasts
  • Salt and pepper
  • About 1 TBSP Italian herb blend (or fresh herbs if you prefer. My blend consists of Marjoram, Thyme, Rosemary, Savory, Sage, Oregano, and Basil)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Put sliced mushrooms and onions in a baking dish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, zest and juice from 1 of the lemons and 1/2 of a lime. Add the water and mix to evenly distribute the flavors. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Zest your other lemon and lime, cut each in half and slice into 4 thin slices each (8 total). Set the other halves aside, we will use those in a minute! Next filet each chicken breast in half, taking care not to slice all the way through. Place the fileted chicken on top of your vegetables and put 1 slice of lemon and 1 slice of lime in the center of each breast. Close the breasts and sprinkle each with a little salt, pepper, the reserved lemon and lime zest, and dried Italian herbs (or fresh herbs if you prefer). Juice the other half of lemon and lime over the chicken breasts and gently massage each piece to help incorporate all the yummy juice and seasonings!


Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour, or until no pink remains. After about 30 minutes I checked mine and spooned some of the broth over top of each breast to help keep it moist while cooking. It took me about an hour, but I used 5 chicken breasts. Just use your best judgement, all ovens cook differently anyway.

These go great with a side of sweet potato fries! The ones pictured below were made with melted coconut oil, salt, and pepper and cooked in the oven with the chicken, turning once halfway through cook time. They were done about 15 minutes before the chicken, so if you make them put them in the oven a little later. Super simple, super delicious!

Lemon-lime chicken with baked sweet potato fries
Lemon-Lime Chicken with Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Hope you enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment